Thursday, December 30, 2010

2010: the awards

I would like to give out a few awards for the year 2010, just because they deserve it:
I'm calling these the "Slap up side the Head " awards.
1.In the " Pursuing an ideal to it's end, regardless of the consequences" category: The US Government, for finally designing a bill that is completely counterfeit-proof. The problem with this, of course, is that not even the US Mint can replicate these bills, which is sort of a problem!
2. In the "Talking the Talk, but Hiding Under My Party's Coattails" category, Barack Obama, for knowing all the right things to say, but not having a clue how to walk the walk.
3. In the " Way to Come out Fighting, and then Retire into Oblivion " category, all of the people who don't vote in any election except a presidential election. Pu-leeze, people, just vote already.
4. In the " Way to talk the talk but not walk the walk " category, everyone who complains about our country's sucky economy, but drives a foreign car. (Get real, already. Where do you think the economy comes from?)
5. In the "B%@*# all you can but don't do anything" category, everyone who voted Republican, but believes in : Gay rights, a woman's right to choose, a person's right to exist without interference from the government, a person's right to pay taxes and therefore have rights in the
government, anyone who believes they have the right to chose how and who to worship.
I could give out many more awards. But I won't , because most people don't have even a modicum of common sense. I am proudly a person who is a Christian, a wife, a mother, a conservative, a liberal. None of these things are exclusive if you have a even a bit of common sense. I love my God, my husband, my children, my right to chose, my right to vote, my right to demonstrate, my right to whatever I want to do that doesn't hurt you. But most people don't understand this, they think they have to indentify with a certain party or candidate. I have mostly voted Democrat, but I can tell you right now, I'd vote Green party or Communist or Independant or Write-In. I proudly voted for Obama, but if I had 30 minutes alone with him, I would certainly take the time to set him straight about his priority's. I love my country, and to paraphrase Ben Franklin, " Patriotism is loyalty to your country always, and your government when they deserve it."
I refuse to be indentified by my loyalty to a party, or a sex, or a belief. I will stand for what I believe in, and "teach the children quietly, for someday sons and daughters, will arise up and fight where we stood still".

No comments: